Maui is the ultimate family dream vacation. Most families travel to Maui for the amazing weather, crystal clear water, and the spectacular beaches.
When planning a vacation to Maui, the major questions most families have is where are the best places to stay and where the best beaches are.
Luckily, Maui has so many incredible family friendly beaches, and I have got you covered with the best Maui beaches for families below.
One of the things I love about each of these beaches is that they are close to the major resort areas so you won’t even have to drive far to get to them. Because let’s be honest, the last thing you want to do is spend half of your day driving to the beach. Why drive when you can go to a fabulous beach right where you are staying?
Each of the beaches listed below are not only gorgeous but also great for swimming and snorkeling as well as easily accessible.
Best Maui Beaches for Families
Kapalua Bay Beach
One of my favorite beaches in Maui is Kapulua. It is known as the crescent shaped beach.
As I mentioned above, Kapalua Bay Beach is on my list because the water is usually calm, the scenery beautiful, and it is very easy to get to.
Kapalua is located on Maui’s west shore. It is less than 20 minutes from downtown Lahaina and just 15 minutes from the Kaanapali Beach resorts.
This beach is perfect for kids of all ages to play on the beach and swim. It is a fantastic little place to snorkel as well. In fact, there is even a resident sea turtle here.
We saw this sea turtle while we were swimming, and our toddler could even see him from the edge of the sand.
Because Kapalua is pretty small, it can get quite busy. The earlier you can get there the better. We always enjoy going to the beaches in the morning and then having some downtime in the afternoon. This is perfect for avoiding the crowds!
Kapalua Bay Must Know Details
- Restrooms and a shower available to rinse your feet
- Free small parking lot (can fill up quickly)
- Additional street parking available
- Beach rentals available including umbrellas, chairs, and snorkeling gear
- Be sure to pack snacks or a light lunch as there is not any walkable restaurants or snack shops
- Paved walking trail along beach–great if kids need a break or baby needs to nap in stroller
I included Kaanapali Beach on my list of best Maui beaches for families because it fronts many family friendly resorts and condominiums. This is the most convenient beach for families staying at these Kaanapali resorts.
Families can just walk out the doors of their resort or condo and be right on this stunning mile long stretch of beach.
Some other great aspects about Kaanapali Beach is that it is usually always sunny in this location, snorkeling near the Black Rock is a must, and it is convenient to the shops and restaurants at Whalers Village.
If you are not staying at one of the resorts or condominiums on Kaanapali, parking can be a bit more difficult. You are not supposed to use the Whalers Parking Garage for beach parking and there really isn’t much parking besides that.
We usually do Whalers Village and Kaanapali Beach in the same morning or afternoon. Normally, we will do some shopping or eat at one of the restaurants and then head to the beach for 1-2 hours or vice versa.
Note: If you do shop or eat at Whalers Village you can get your parking validated for part of the time you are there.
Kaanapali Must Know Details
- Best to visit early in the morning to avoid the crowds later in the day
- Lots of space on the beach so even if it is crowded you can still find your own little area
- Restrooms available at Whalers Village
- Paved trail along beachfront
- Super close to many restaurants
- Fun to watch people cliff jump off of Black Rock (you can’t miss it!)
Napili Bay Beach
Napili Bay Beach makes my best Maui beaches for families list because it is ideal for both swimming and snorkeling.
It is also a great area for sea turtle sightings. Whenever we are swimming in the ocean, we are ALWAYS on the lookout for sea turtles, and THIS is a great place to see them.
Additionally, snorkeling is fantastic here as there are lots of tropical fish and coral.
The water is mostly calm but sometimes there can be waves so be mindful of that.
Napili Bay Beach is great for the younger kids to play in the sand as well!
Napili Bay Beach Must Know Details
- Parking is roadside
- Try to arrive early to get a closer parking spot along the road
- No restrooms available
- Restaurants within walking distance
- Located 11 minutes from the Kaanapali resorts area and about 20 minutes from Lahaina Town
- Make sure to bring gear to do some snorkeling
Kamaole Beach III
Kamaole Beach III is in Kihei. This beach is located in Kamaole Park and is one of three different beaches in this area.
Kamaole Beach III is the smallest of the three and unique in that it has a large grassy area for families to lounge, picnic, play, and more.
It also has a playground area for the kids. This is a benefit if any of the kids need a break from the beach and water.
One convenient aspect of Kamaole Beach III is that it is walkable from many vacation homes and rentals. This is advantageous for families vacationing in this area.
Kamaole Beach III Must Know Details
- Located about 7 minutes from Wailea
- Convenient to visit this beach if you are staying in Kihei or Wailea area
- Can get very busy during weekends and holidays so plan accordingly during these times
- Restrooms available
- Some large rocks extend out from the ocean to be mindful of that with the kids
- Parking lot available
Wailea Beach is one of the best Maui beaches for families. It fronts two spectacular resorts- the Grand Wailea and the Four Seasons Resort Maui at Wailea.
The public access for this beach is located just off Wailea Alanui Drive. After you turn, drive just a bit, and you will see parking spots, restrooms, and a roundabout.
Wailea Beach is great for both swimming and snorkeling as well. This beach is simply stunning and an amazing environment to be in.
This is a fantastic beach for enjoying the views, relaxing in the sand, and snorkeling near the lava rocks when the water is calm enough. Other times, it can be fun to enjoy the light breaking waves in the water.
Additionally, there is a paved beach path that runs the length of the beach. If you are looking for a gorgeous walk along the beach–this is IT! Wailea Beach Path is a phenomenal place to come and walk to watch the sunset.
Wailea Beach Must Know Details
- Can get busy with the people from all the resorts
- Restrooms and shower available
- Bring a stroller so you can walk along the beach path
- Restaurants within walking distance
- Along the 1.6 mile beach path are two more fantastic beach options including Ulua Beach and Polo Beach
These five beaches are some of the best Maui beaches for families. The reason I LOVE these beaches is that not only are they truly stunning, but also that they are convenient for families to get to. These are the beaches nearest to where most families stay on Maui.
Maui has so many great beaches and honestly, the best ones are the ones right out your doorstep. It is also fun to explore a new one from time to time but with the kids often it is simply more enjoyable to enjoy that beach right where you are located.
- Always beware of changing conditions and alert to any warnings posted
- Keep an eye on your children at all times
- Make sure to stay at least 10 feet from any sea turtles you see
- Bring plenty of water to stay hydrated
- Bring along some sand toys so the kids can play in the sand (some vacation rentals provide these or consider purchasing a few from a store once on Maui)
- Have your snorkel gear with you if you have it or check if there are equipment rentals nearby
- Carry some snacks with you or make a plan for eating depending on your intended length of stay at the beach
- Have an amazing time
If you are looking for some additional things to do in Maui with kids, check out this post. Additionally, if you are still deciding where to stay on Maui, click here to find out the best places to stay in Maui for families.
SAVE and PIN this post for your trip to Maui. May you LOVE your adventure! KW